Sunday, April 26, 2015

How Fantasy Turned Me Into A Book Junkie

Then, one summer, I’m visiting my family in Victoria and my cousin says, “Have you ever read this book?  It is so great!”  The book was Guards!  Guards! By Terry Pratchett.  This introduced me to Discworld.  I then introduced my husband’s (then boyfriend’s) family to Terry Pratchett after I saw their taste in comedy was incredibly similar to my own.  They loved Douglas Adams, but also Flying Circus & something I had never heard of, Goon Show.  I gave my father-in-law my rather tatty copy of Guards!  Guards! and he was hooked.  I think we now have nearly all of the Discworld series scattered throughout the house although we are trying to gather them in one spot.

My introduction to Harlequins came via my family in Kitchener.  When we went on vacation, we would all bring Harlequins to read and then swap.  This had become a tradition somewhat earlier in our lives with Archie comic books, but then we changed our reading habits once we got older.  Whenever I read Harlequins, I found that I preferred the historical romance novels rather than contemporary.  One of my favorite novels is Hidden Fires by Sandra Brown.  Since I moved to my current town, I started reading more & more historical romances, especially Regency.  I’ll be doing separate posts on some of my favorite authors later.


I also started to get really into Teen & Children's books.  Although I didn't realize it at the time, what my high school library had was a highly curated collection of books chosen to appeal to teens.  While working at the library, I often saw my favorite books from high school placed in the adult Science Fiction & fantasy section.  So I dove right into the teen section which composes of books written specifically for teens.  As for children’s, well, there’s a ton of fantasy there that I love,  Again, separate posts will be forthcoming for some of my favorite series.

No comments:

Post a Comment